Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Saying Goodbye

I worked for seven wonderful months at Jackson-Madison County General Hospital's NICU learning and developing into a neonatal nurse. I'm not sure that it's a process that can ever be completed, but I developed a major foundation there.  I made the difficult decision to leave my work home and work family that I had come to love for the best interest of my upcoming marriage. John simply could not use his major to be a provider for our family in that area. We were planning to go to Birmingham, AL for John to attend grad school, when there suddenly became a possibility of a state job in his field of study in Columbia, TN. I was super excited about this because we could possibly be close to both our families! I immediately began searching for jobs in both areas .... with no avail for many months.  The night came to say goodbye to my NICU family, and it was no easy task.  I was assigned a very sick tiny baby on my last night, and I was glad to have the distraction!  I was doing well until it came time to eat.  As I headed into the break room I found a beatiful potted flower with a sweet card that brought me to tears, and a yummy bunch of food waiting for me!  Everyone had chipped in to make my last night a party, even if it was only for my 30 minute meal break!
The hardest part of the night was by far cleaning out my locker, clocking out, and walking out the door for the last time.  I owe to everyone there the nurse that I am today!

No comments:

Post a Comment